Dr. John Doane is a board-certified ophthalmologist who specializes in gentle no-stitch cataract surgery, corneal transplantation, and refractive surgery, including LASIK Laser Vision Correction and Full Focus Vision (advanced cataract correction). He is the leader of Discover Vision's Refractive Team and has been performing LASIK laser vision correction since it was first approved by the FDA in 1995. Dr. Doane has years of experience and has performed thousands of LASIK procedures. He has been listed among the “Top 50 Opinion Leaders in Cataract and Refractive Surgery,” as voted by the readers of Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today, as well as the “Top 50 Laser Vision Correction Surgeons.” These awards place Dr. Doane among the top 5% of LASIK and Cataract surgeons.
Dr. John Doane was instrumental in perfecting "custom-fitted" LASIK procedures with the Visx WaveScan System, a break-through device which captures fingerprint-like technology of the eye. Discover Vision was the first facility in the world to use the WaveScan device, which provides the information needed to treat each patient individually. The result: LASIK, custom-tailored to suit individual lifestyles and needs. Through pioneering vision and surgical expertise, Dr. Doane consistently leads the way in cutting-edge LASIK and refractive procedures. His commitment to research allows him to determine which vision correction procedure, if any, is best for your eyes.
Domestically and internationally, Dr. Doane is an active lecturer. He has written hundreds of peer-reviewed articles and book chapters and has also edited two textbooks on refractive surgery. Dr. Doane often participates in FDA or other clinical investigations involving the latest advancements for both LASIK Laser Vision Correction and presbyopia-correcting intraocular lens (IOL) implants. Additionally, he is the Clinical Assistant Professor for the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Kansas Medical Center. In 2012, he was honored by the American Academy of Ophthalmology with the Senior Achievement Award which recognizes his career contributions made to the Academy, its scientific and educational programs and to the field of ophthalmology.
Dr. John Doane practices at the following locations:
For more information on LASIK or to schedule your FREE evaluation, call 816.478.1230 today or click here. Want to find out what other Kansas City LASIK patients are saying about Dr. John Doane? Visit our patient testimonial page.
More information on Dr. John Doane:
- Fellowship in Cornea, Refractive and Anterior Segment Surgery – University of Texas / Hermann Eye Center, Houston, TX, and Centro Oftalmologico Colombiano, Bogota, Columbia, 1995-1996
- Residency in Ophthalmology – University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS, 1991-1995
- Medicine Internship – University of Missouri-Kansas City, Kansas City, MO, 1990-1991
- Doctor of Medicine – University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS, Alpha Omega Alpha, 1986-1990
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology – University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO, Phi Beta Kappa, 1982-1986
Recent Honors & Awards:
- Senior Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
- Best LASIK Center, as voted by readers of The Pitch
- Kansas City Super Doctors, KC Magazine
- “Top 50 Opinion Leaders," Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today
- Achievement Award, AAO
- 1st Place Film Festival, Am. Soc. of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, Refractive Complications
- 1st Place Film Festival, Intl. Soc. of Refractive Surgery, World Symposium
- Visx Star Award Recipient, listed among “Top 5% Laser Vision Correction Surgeons”
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American, Kansas, Missouri & Metropolitan Medical Associations & Societies
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Kansas City Society of Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology
- Missouri & Kansas State Societies of Eye Physicians & Surgeons
Additional Educational Programs:
- Verisyse Training Program, Denver, CO, 2005
- Visx Train the Trainers CustomVue Protocol, New York, NY, 2003
- C-Cap Training Program, Philadelphia, PA, 2002
- Staar ICL Training Course, San Diego, CA, 2000
- PresbyCorCor Training Course, Dallas, TX, 1998
- Automated Lamellar Keratoplasty Course, Houston, TX, 1995
- Future Focus, San Francisco, CA, 1994
- Casebeer Keratorefractive Surgery Course, St. Louis, MO, 1993
- Basic and Clinical Science Course, Houston, Texas, 1992
Click here to download Dr. John Doane’s bio card.
For more information on Kansas City LASIK, please call 816.478.1230 or click here to request an appointment online.