Doug O. Dehning, M.D.
Dr. Doug Dehning is a board-certified ophthalmologist whose specialties include retina/vitreous, diabetic eye care, retinal detachment, macular degeneration, no-stitch cataracts and glaucoma. He often participates in clinical investigations for the latest treatments in glaucoma and other conditions.
Dr. Dehning has been in private practice with Discover Vision Centers for over 20 years and is one of only six partners with the company.
Throughout his medical career, Dr. Dehning has participated in numerous medical mission trips, including programs in the Dominican Republic, Belize, Nigeria, Thailand, and the Philippines. Dr. Dehning has worked closely with Bridgett McCandless, M.D., medical director of the Jackson County Free Health Clinic, to provide financial support, medical staff, and equipment, as well as assistance in grant-writing.
- Retinal Fellowship – University of Texas Medical Center, Hermann Hospital, Houston, TX
- Residency in Ophthalmology – Truman Medical Center, Kansas City, MO
- Internship in Pediatrics – Children’s Hospital, Kansas City, MO
- Medical Degree – Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE
- Bachelor of Science – University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY
Medical Missions & Other Service Ogranizations
- Jackson County Free Health Clinic, Independence, MO
- Belize Council for the Visually Impaired
- Rotary Club International, Philippines
- Philippine Medical Society of Kansas City Medical Missions
- Catholic Relief Service, Phanatnikhom Refugee Camp, Thailand
- Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod, Nigeria, Africa
- Institute for Latin American Concerns, Dominican Republic
- Outstanding Humanitarian Service Award Nominee, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Humanitarian of the Year Award
- Outstanding Physician Award, Philippine Medical Society of Greater Kansas City