Stephen U. Stechschulte, M.D.
Dr. Stephen U. Stechschulte is a board-certified ophthalmologist specializing in corneal, cataract and refractive surgery. He has been practicing in the Kansas City area since 2001 and was previously with Discover Vision in The Northland before joining KC Eye Specialists in 2011. Dr. Stechschulte rejoined Discover Vision in 2016 at our Leawood location.
Dr. Stechschulte received his undergraduate degree from Princeton University and completed his medical degree at KU Med. After a 3-year ophthalmology residency at the University of California-San Francisco, Dr. Stechschulte completed a 2-year fellowship in cornea, external disease and refractive surgery at Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston.
- M.D., University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS, 1994
- A.B., Economics, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, 1988
- Children’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, Research Fellow, Surgical Research Laboratory, January 1999–June 2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, Massachusetts, Fellow, Cornea, External Disease, and Refractive Surgery, July 1998–June 2000
- Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, Clinical Fellow, Department of Ophthalmology, July 1998–June 2000
- University of California-San Francisco, San Francisco, California, Resident, Department of Ophthalmology, July 1995–June 1998
- University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, Intern, Department of Medicine, July 1994–June 1995
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, Pre-Doctoral Fellow, Department of Rheumatology, July 1991–June 1992
Honors and Awards
- 1998 Fellow, Heed Ophthalmic Foundation
- 1997 Vice-President, Cordes Eye Society, San Francisco, California
- 1994 Lange Book Award, Outstanding Academic Achievement, University of Kansas
- 1994 Phi Kappa Phi, Honor Society, University of Kansas
- 1993 Junior AOA, President, Kansas Alpha Chapter, AOA